I suggest you ...

Delete episodes

Have the ability to delete individual episodes off the app so you don't have 200+ just sitting there rather than just hiding them.

66 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JamesJames shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HagaiHagai commented  · 

Right, there are no rules on the length of the feed, and some feeds may have an excessive number. But still, most don't, and if you do not actually remove entries until you do an update and the entry does not arrive anymore -- you're safe and removed entries will never appear.
        I completely agree about the guid...

• Xavier GuillemaneAdminXavier Guillemane (Admin, Podcast Addict) commented  · 

Not necessarily. You have feeds that contains thousands of entries. There's absolutely no rules about that. So you have to keep track of every past episodes otherwise they will keep commibv back after every update once deleted. And keeping track of the guid isn't enough because a lot if feeds do not follow the RSS standards and are duplicating this tag. So RSS clients need to keep a few fields forever.

RSS generators themselves keep just a round of 10-100 updates on a FIFO basis; they don't broadcast items forever, for their own bandwidth reasons. So, once an item that is marked for deletion does not arrive on an update, it can be safely removed as it will never show up again.

The reason I reset the feed is to prevent the database of the application from growing endlessly. I realize that you say that even if it does grow endlessly, user experience is not impacted. I believe you're right. However, since I really don't need years worth of old podcast data on my device, I value the option of being able to clean it up.
        (BTW, I am not sure the RSS reader collects eternal history, because its storage requirements do not grow with time, and I use it for years by now.)

No it will not slow down the app. It will use a couple MB per year but
        that's it. Browsing a cursor with 5 rows or 1M doesn't change anything
        because everything is indexed in the app database. Every other RSS app work
        the same way except that they will not show you those older episodes
        anymore but most part of those older episodes metadata are still there to
        avoid duplicate entries (guid, URL, name, date...)

I don't understand why you need to make a feed reset. Just enable the
        automatic mark read feature and hide read content it will do exactly what
        you are trying to achieve. Except that you can still access older episode
        by pressing again on the eye button

Eventually it will. Each episode has its metadata stored, picture, etc. This takes space and processing time. In general, I believe no application shall be storing data "forever" with no deletion capability. If the RSS aggregator I use for news articles would work the same way, with 200 new items a day, it would collapse. All RSS processors remove old entries once they are marked for deletion (or marked as "read") and no longer come from the server upon update.
        I bought Podcast Addict because I think it's the best podcast player out there, and I still think it is, but doing a "reset podcast" occasionally just to get the read list in control is really inconvenient. I think at least an option shall offered of automatically deleting read entries that no longer come from the server upon update.

Why do you say that having more episodes will slow down the app? That's not true. You can have 50k episodes in the app it won't change a thing. If you hide read episodes you will just see the unread episodes which is what you want. So I'm not sure to understand what the issue is

I agree with the request. Having the list pile forever makes the program unscalable, ever becoming slower and slower. RSS does not keep items in circulation forever, so once a read item is no longer in RSS it can safely be deleted.

Feedback and Knowledge Base