I suggest you ...

Cross device synchronization

Would be great to be able to synchronize subscriptions, playlist, read status, ... between devices

4,556 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminXavier Guillemane (Admin, Podcast Addict) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminXavier Guillemane (Admin, Podcast Addict) responded  · 

The next couple of versions will focus in getting reed of any existing issue, then I will resume working on this feature.
I may have found a solution to handle the charge necessary and which might not cost too much.

Once a first beta with basic subscription syncing is available I will study the impact on the servers (and the cost), then I will add more syncing step by step, in order to sync the read status, favorite flag, playback progress, …
Hopefully I’ll be able to add this feature in the free version

273 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'Anymote Smart Remote' have a sync feature that uses Google Plus. Maybe it could be useful to see how they do it? I don't know what's behind it but it works really well and is very simple to use.

• Camilo Godoy V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Xavier, I hope your update for Android 6.? is running smoothly.

Please do not forget about all of us waiting impatiently for this incredible improvement (cross device sync) for your already amazing software.

I guess the user settings and also user config/info (f.e: favorites) wil be able to be synced , right?

Take care / Prends soin de toi.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great job on the app. Cross device sync would make my life complete. Any thoughts on requiring the user to have a Google drive folder to store the sync list? It''s free, I suspect most users all ready have it...See the open source passwd safe by Jeff Harris. I've been using if for some time for cross device sync of my password db on android and windows without any issues. Check it out in the play store. Thanks for your efforts!

• timmyfatlips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. And though I think it's very cool you want to keep as much in the free version as possible, I - as someone who currently only uses the free version, would happily pay to get this. It seems a perfectly reasonable extra to charge for. It's not as if the standalone app isn't already pretty fantastic. Thanks again for all your work.

• AdminXavier Guillemane (Admin, Podcast Addict) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started developing this based on a Dropbox API. The subscriptions syncing was fully developed as well a 50% of the episode status syncing, but Dropbox announced that their were cancelling this feature...
    So I have to find another solution. I could handle it on my side by adding more servers, but because I want this available in the free version as well I'm afraid it might cost me a lot to implement this, so I'm still looking for an alternative.
    Also the upcoming Android M version will require a lot of work so Podcast Addict can work properly, so for now I don't have an ETA...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really appreciate the quality of the app - this is the one feature I'd love implemented. Any chance of an update or ETA? Saw that you ran into problems when Dropbox changed their API - not being tech minded at all, is this really bad news? (it sounds pretty bad...)

• AdminXavier Guillemane (Admin, Podcast Addict) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@iWampy
    Yes but this is limited to devices with access to the Google Play Services. I'm trying to build a solution which will work on devices without Google Play Services. That way, you will be able to synchronize Kindle devices, BB devices, on Chrome, and Windows 10 ;)

• Jan Stanstrup commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any guess at a time frame for this? I just started using cast addict and I would like to know if I should hold my breath or find another solution.

Feedback and Knowledge Base